Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Intellectual Disabilities (or PWID)
Teaching organizational skills

Is your pwid organized? Not mine! I know she is very capable of it and sometimes she forges ahead and shows me she is, but seems to revert back. I believe it might have a lot to do with me. I am tired and don’t always practice good organizational skills. But to be most helpful to our pwid’s we must bear the cross and fix our own deficiencies. Being a parent or caretaker to a pwid is a lifelong commitment. We fortunately or unfortunately, however you look at it, have our child longer than the usual 18 years, usually long into adulthood, so we must be diligent always, no rest for the weary.

More to the point, how do we keep the interest in our charges to be organized? “Mom where are my ________ (fill in the blank), Mom have you seen my ________, I left them right here and somebody took them (looking at me)”. Sound familiar? Well, what and how do we change the situation? Start by getting yourself as organized as you want them to be. Yipes right? Really it is easier that way. (Speaking to myself here!) Hang hooks for keys. I created signs for what clothes to wear for work. She has that now, doesn’t need them anymore. Find spots for things, everything has a place and a place for everything. (Thanks Dad!) Start slowly. Find a good book on the subject, if you need and use it, don’t lose it. Remind and support your child in this. “You know you are standing right next to the wastebasket, please don’t throw trash on the table.”

“If you hang your keys up you won’t lose them”. Hang up your work clothes, the floor is not a closet.”

Boy I am feeling you here. Nothing seems to sink in right? It will, be patient and consistent. Just like when they were kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment