Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Intellectual Disabilities (or PWID)
Now that my daughter is 30 what am I going to do?
Sound familiar? Too many of us are getting older and struggle with what will happen when we pass on, go to the big house, kick the bucket or just die. The responsibility of your special child is daunting. I really don’t have anyone to take care of her when I die. My son has his own family and I think the imposition may be too great for them and I am not sure they truly understand her, which could be terribly detrimental to her and them. It is my job to help her achieve a certain level of independence, to the point where she could take care of herself.  She is doing well so far, we have achieved a lot.

She knows how to take care of the home, do laundry, and cook to the point she won’t starve.  We do have services available that will help her pay bills and do grocery shopping, etc.  She is in the process of learning how to drive and hopefully she will build up enough courage to do it. I try to rack my brain for all the things necessary to help her succeed. As it comes up I need to jot it down to help me.

What are the things lacking? Oh my goodness. Sometimes I find it is easier to do things than let her do it and she counts on that. Never do today what you can put off ‘til tomorrow, seems to be the motto of the day. We need to keep them motivated, easier said than done. We try to help our special children realize the best for themselves and try and try. Sometimes we are successful and sometimes not so much, but we can’t give up.

What about you? I would love to know what you are doing to get your charge ready for the life they will have without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment